Friday, October 1, 2010

Marathons and Childbirth

A few days ago Der asked me,

"What's harder marathon or natural childbirth?"

My second baby was an emergency c-section. His heart rate dropped to 40, an average heart rate for a boy is around 160. It was scary to say the least. Nevertheless God protected him and after he was born he soon turned from blue to a rosy skin tone. I'm so thankful to live in a day and age where doctors can save baby's lives by doing emergency c-sections. After our miracle baby was born I chose joy and decided to dwell on the fact that he was healthy. I also focused on all of the blessings God granted through the experience but it was still hard and I was slightly traumatized by the whole labor and delivery.

All of that to say with the third pregnancy I was adamant to attempt a natural VBAC. With the help and support of Derrick, family, friends, an amazingly gifted doula and ultimately the Great Physician my third baby was born a natural VBAC. We faced much opposition and discouragement with our decision to go with a natural birthing experience.

The biggest challenge was an ultra sound showing only one kidney. I remember meeting Derrick in the waiting room of the OB and repeating the information I had just received. I told Derrick,

"Even if he only has one kidney God can make another one."

Words like high risk pregnancy, bed rest, scheduled c-section were just a few that left Derrick and I searching for answers. We continued to pray asking our Creator to knit our son another kidney. It wasn't a terrible situation by any means and we were told many babies are born with one kidney and live a perfectly healthy life. We still hoped to avoid the possible complications we were told may come along with having a baby with one kidney.

I had three ultrasounds within 2 weeks the first two ultrasounds showing only one kidney. After much prayer the third ultrasound revealed 2 kidneys, one smaller than the other but nevertheless TWO kidneys. Just days before only one was found. I was scheduled to have a fourth ultrasound soon after at a high risk OB office to make 100% sure baby was okay. The equipment at the high risk doctors office is much more efficient and would show every detail of baby's organs.

When the ultrasound was over and done with the high risk OB was perplexed as to why I was even there. I had to repeat several times that the previous ultrasounds were only showing one kidney. I saw with my own two eyes the kidneyS equal in size and functioning perfectly! Wow what an answer to prayer. God really showed me that He cares about every detail. I had such confidence that baby would be healthy and that no matter what God would be with me through the labor and delivery.

We had one more small scare between 38 an 39 weeks when baby's heart rate slowed down and we were strongly encouraged to induce labor. We knew God was in charge and our gut told us to wait. After several hours of being hooked to all sorts of wires, needles and machines, a second doctor came in and said " Baby is probably just sleeping I think you are fine to go home."

About a week later I went into labor. The pain made me wondering I was abducted, forced on a spaceship and taken to a planet called torture. It's like a completely different world. To answer Der's question..... In my opinion, natural childbirth BY FAR is much harder than running a marathon.

I would even say that childbirth with an epidural and c- section is still harder than a marathon. I've done it all 3 ways. As far as the epidural goes, it's great, BUT.... the THANG wears off and let's just put it nicely and say.... You can feel the damage that was done afterwards no matter how the baby came out.

A sweet friend of mine recently said,
"I don't know how you do it!", she was referring to the training. It didn't make sense to me because she is a Mom. If you are a mom you can run a marathon! There was a time in my life that I couldn't imagine giving birth, functioning through sleep deprivation and the many other challenges that go along with motherhood. You do it because you are forced to push yourself beyond your present capabilities. That's how you get there. Do yourself a favor today; believe that you can surpass your present capabilities and challenge yourself. Afterwards you will be proud of yourself and gain confidence to keep pushing yourself forward.


Let's go for a run!

1 comment:

  1. Now that IS a miracle THX for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete