Sunday, September 5, 2010

18 miler

Yesterday, September 4th was an 18 mile long run. It's been almost 3 years since my first full marathon and this past winter I had a stress fracture that kept me from running for several months.  With each long run that jumps up in distance I'm encouraged as I think to myself, "This is the most I've run in 3 years, not too bad a stress fracture and baby later."    I got up at 5:30 to eat, stretch and get ready for my big run and decided to read a page from one of my favorite books My Utmost for his Highest by Oswald Chambers.  It was really inspiring because it was about prayer and my favorite thing to do when I run is pray.

Chambers states, "The correct concept is to think of prayer as the breath in our lungs and the blood from our hearts."

How cool is that!  If anyone were to spy on me while I run I'm sure they would think I'm a lunatic, talking to the horses I pass and randomly lifting my hands or pointing to the sky.  I don't care though, even if someone were to see me.  Running is a time of prayer and worship for me.

1 Timothy 4:8 says,

"Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next."

This verse is a great reminder for me not to stay focused on what's really important.  Us runners can get competitive and let a stop watch make or break our run.  We can turn running into a task or number to cross off of the training schedule and miss out on having fun.  I know I often have the tendency to do those things.  My best runs are when I take no watch or music and have no distractions.  I'm often surprised to see the clock when I finish and realize I made my best time ever because I wasn't trying.  I was just having fun.  For me running races is not about my time but about finishing.

1 comment:

  1. Love you and LOVE this!!! Great first entry and way to go on your 18-miler. YOu are almost in the homestretch girl! Praying all the way!!! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete